Whether you're heading to the Bahamas, Hawaii, Alaska or a big city with your kids, you can always save money here and there on a family vacation.
Here are some budget tips to help you reduce your family travel costs:
1. Consider staying in a hostel with access to a kitchen. You may not get your own private kitchen, but do you really need one? Hostels can be very cheap and many are as clean as the average hotel. Even if you book two private bedrooms with multiple beds at the hostel, you will still pay less than you would for a hotel suite.
2. Keep an eye out for free admission days. Most museums, national parks, gardens, zoos, etc … have a free entry day, at least once a month, for these or other reasons. All U.S. National Parks have free tickets to Veterans Day, MLK Junior Day, Public Lands Day, and the first day of National Park Week. It is always a good idea to plan a family vacation around these holidays.
3. Save on water, milk and juice by bringing reusable bottles with you wherever you go. Most public places, including airports and hotels, have fountains, so you can easily fill your bottles with free clean water.
4. If you need to rent a car, keep in mind that family-sized vehicles cost more than an economy car. Look for discounts and promo codes whenever possible. Compare the prices of multiple rental companies at once. Don't just choose the ones with the lowest prices, take the time to read the terms regarding gasoline, GPS options, whether the baby seats are free or have extra costs, etc.
5. If you do not want to work a hostel during your family vacation, then rest at the hotel or resort where the children eat for free. In case there are not many meal choices at the hotel or resort, at least rest near a restaurant where children can eat for free. Also, most hotels these days have mini-refrigerators in every room. Get groceries there the first day and use the refrigerator.
6. Discount websites are not just about saving on airline tickets, cruises and rooms. You can often find promo codes and coupons that you can use for fun, trips, and other "things to do."
Keep these tips in mind when going on a family vacation. Every little thing you save will really add up after a few days.
Online coupon codes and promotional offers are helpful for booking a family vacation. You can use website tools not only to find discount travel rates, but also to help plan your trip plan. There are many useful resources that are easy to use.